Thursday, April 24, 2014

Chapter 2

I grabbed my lunch and walked out the door and headed up the road to the bus stop to wait for the bus. It was going to be at least thirty minutes before the bus showed up, so I sat down on the bench next to the sign that read bus stop. I was already anxious to get home, and I had not even left yet. Once the bus got there, I made my way into work and clocked in. It was uneventful, the same routines at work. Once 5pm rolled around, I clocked out, and headed back to the bus stop to wait for the bus ride home. 

Once I got back towards my house, I just walked, but blacked out. I did not know what had happened. Was I hit by a car? All I could remember was opening my eyes, it was all blurry, but I heard the beeping sound of a heart monitor. Was I in a hospital? I took in my surroundings. Yes, I was definitely in a hospital. What had happened to me? As it all came back to me, I felt a stinging pain in my left arm. I looked down, to find an IV tube stuck through my skin, with an annoyingly itchy sensation of pain. 

"Denali?" I heard a lady's voice call out. I looked at her, with a dazed expression. She was an older lady, she had black hair, tied back in a bun with braids, and she was a bit on the heavy side. I noticed she was wearing blue pants and a blue shirt with flowers on it. Her name tag read "Natasha Williams RN" By that I could tell she was a nurse. I groaned a bit in pain from the IV tubes sticking through my arm. 

"Good, you're awake" She said to me. 
"I'm gonna take your vitals..." 

"What happened to me?" I asked her. She looked at me as she took out her stethoscope and a blood pressure monitor. 

"We don't know for sure yet, we're still running some tests. That was a really nasty fall you had there." She said to me. 

"Fall? I fell?" I asked. I was still curious as to what had happened to me. 

"Well we will find out what's going on and get you fixed all up and out of here as soon as possible. Oh, uh, Denali, is there any chance you could be pregnant?" She asked me. I sat there wondering, what kind of question was that? 

"I don't think so, I work all the time, and I couldn't be. That would be..." I started but paused. Was it possible? Couldn't be. 

"Well we will test you for that too, just to be on the safe side." The nurse said to me as she walked out of the room. I heard her outside the door talking to what I had guessed was a doctor, but the conversation was muffled, so I couldn't make out what it was about. 

"Ugh, Denali, you have no time to black out like that" I thought to myself. I started to doze off, and once I was asleep, I had another nightmare. I couldn't see faces, but they were all around me, I was alone, so alone, so helpless, I woke up in a cold sweat, and just started sobbing uncontrollably. I needed help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment